Monday, March 31, 2014

Sharing Village News is Part of the Job

Part of my job on the Cold Spring Village Board is communicating with residents, friends and neighbors keeping them updated on the good work of the Village Board and informed of its activities, important news and issues that affect us all.

As Trustee, this part of the job gives me great pleasure. I love talking about the many good things our Village Board accomplishes -- especially the projects I've been a part of, such as our FREE Summer Film Series run by the Cold Spring Film Society, negotiating a state grant to update our zoning and historic codes and organizing volunteers to support the care of our Village street trees.

One of the ways I share news is by using online media.  By using Facebook I am able quickly reach hundreds of residents of our community to spread the word about how good we have it here in Cold Spring.

Unfortunately, some in our community want to restrict the reporting of news and information about our Village.

Last week I was strongly criticized by the Putnam County News & Recorder and Village Planning Board Chair Barney Malloy for a sharing Village news in a Facebook post that highlighted a vital step in securing $75,000 in NYSERDA funding for our Village to use to update our zoning and historic district codes.  PCN&R columnist Tim Greco contributed his own detractions and related commentary on Facebook 'Philipstown Debate Forum' (not 'Philipstown Is Talking' - as stated in the original post).

Unfortunately, I'm sure these unfounded attacks will continue in the PCN&R and on Facebook. With one year left in my term as Trustee, I expect the negative press to grow louder and more extreme.

However, I will not be intimidated. I will keep sharing good news about the meaningful work conducted by and for the Village of Cold Spring.

For those of you on Facebook, you can continue to find my posts on my campaign page at: https://www.facebook.com/StephanieForTrustee <https://www.facebook.com/StephanieForTrustee> .

 Not on Facebook? Find my posts here:  stephanieforcoldspring.blogspot.com <http://stephanieforcoldspring.blogspot.com <http://stephanieforcoldspring.blogspot.com> >

You can email me questions directly at hawkins.coldspring@gmail.com <hawkins.coldspring@gmail.com>

I'm always happy to hear your constructive contributions to any discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment